Monday, August 17, 2009

True Story of the Best Worst Vacation Ever Part 2

We dropped off our luggage at George's place and carrying only the clothes on our back, Marty's bow, a pistol and a day pack containing an emergency blanket, two granola bars and a
bottle of water, we get to the base of the mountain and mark the coordinates on our GPS. Marking it not once, but twice, we set off on the adventure of a lifetime. We hiked for what seemed like eternity, determined the land looked good and even heard the elk bugle. The temperature cooled as the sun dawned, so we decided to head back and get a good nights rest. We were going to get an early start in the morning. "Which way out?" asked MP. I knew he was kidding because we had come in from the right. I knew we needed to turn to the left and go back the way we came. Marty thought so too, but the GPS indicated we would be wrong in our assumption. In fact, the GPS told us to keep going the way we were going. We knew this was wrong, but we would be idiots to disregard the GPS. I mean, it is operated via satellite in space! So, we obliged and heeded the directions of the Garmin GPS. We walked to the spot where the GPS said our vehicle should be and of course, it wasn't there. By this time we have walked for hours and it is getting very dark and very cold. All Marty could say was, "Well, it looks like we're here for the night." I can almost hear the fright in his voice. Not about staying the night in the bear country with no supplies. I suspect it was the fear of what my reaction might be. To his surprise, I said "OK" , as I made myself as comfortable as I could on the ground. We did manage to get a fire started and I actually slept really well that night. Well, except for that one time when a spark leapt from the fire onto my face. That was not cool, but other than that, it wasn't bad. Marty, on the other hand, had quite a night. He was the one getting up every hour on the hour to stoke the fire. He was also the one who heard a low growling that he suspected to be a bear. We had been warned about the high bear population in the place we were stranded, thus the reason for the pistol. He was asleep when he first heard the grumbling. It woke him, but he saw nothing. When he drifted off, he heard it again. This time he grabbed his pistol and jumped up. Only then did he recognize the faint grumbling was actually me snoring.We awoke early that next morning. The only food we had was the two granola bars previously mentioned and what water we had leftover from the day before, which was not much. We shared a granola bar and began our walk out. The GPS was of no use to us. The date was September 11. I remember that because I cursed the US Government and swore they had messed with our satellites, which caused the error. Laugh now, but at the time I truly believed it was a governmental conspiracy.

No comments: