Monday, August 24, 2009

True Story of the Best Worst Vacation Ever: Season Finale

On the road again, we found that our spare tire wasn't holding air as it should. We located a hole-in-the-wall all night gas station for a tire plug and were accosted by a man who, if memory serves me, tried to convince us that he could fix the tire with chewing gum? We left as quickly as we could and soon we found ourselves in Louisiana. We decided to stop and rest, plus we were really hungry and really tired of Mexican food. We found a place that sold hot wings. It was after lunch, but still early afternoon. Besides us, there was only one other couple in the entire restaurant. Marty and I joked about the black cloud following us and how we couldn't believe all the bad things that happened. All of a sudden, I heard the girl next to us speak words to her date that I have never heard spoken in real life before. "I'm sorry, but I cannot marry you. Here....", she said as she handed him the engagement ring back. We were floored. All we could say was, "dude, I'm really sorry" and we high tailed it out of there before something worse happened.

We breathed a sigh of relief when we crossed the Mississippi line and an even bigger sigh when we saw our house. We had to come home first to unload the cargo and to get a second vehicle so that we could drop the rental off at the airport. We take a few more pictures with our disposable camera and leave again. We dropped the car off and rehashed our events during the car ride home. It was really all we could talk about. We talked about how no one would believe us and how glad we were to have taken pictures of the speeding ticket, the flat tire, the luggage, etc. Home again for good, we realized we had two more pictures left to take. I used them on our cat and rewound the camera. I was getting these bad boys developed as soon as possible! Well, I would have, but during rewinding the film snapped in half and could not be salvaged. "Well, that's just the icing on the cake!" we said. We didn't even unpack. We bathed, ate, and settled in on the couch for some relaxation. I don't remember who thought to check the answering machine, but suddenly the room was overwhelmed with the following message: "Mr. Puckett, this is Delta airlines. We are calling to inform you that the Jackson airport has been closed and your flight canceled; however, we have made alternate flight arrangements for you. Please contact us at ........."

I am not even kidding you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is HYSTERICAL! Great story, great storytelling. I only knew that y'all had gotten lost, everyone was worried, and that they found you again. I had no idea of the rest of the story. That's great!

DP (Marty will know who it is.)

Tee said...

Well, Christy, you've managed to do something that very few people can do... you've left me completely speachless. I've always been a homebody, I've always HATED to travel... now so more than ever.